Whitewater Valley Guide
Serving southeast Indiana and southwest Ohio 
Read about Metamora Sewer Board's recent changes.

   Subscribe to our weekly 
e-dition of the 
Whitewater Valley Guide.
Simply click on the link below

Type Subscribe in the subject line and send it.

Local Events Calendar



$20 each 

This Week

Dec 16-22, 2014


Tuesday, December 16


Christmas Festival

Donation, 5-9 pm

Richmond Furniture Gallery

180 Fort Wayne Avenue

Richmond, In

765 939-3349


Thursday, December 18


Premiere: Richmond Jazz Orchestra

Free, 6-7 pm

Morrisson-Reeves Library

80 North 6th Street

Richmond, In

765 966-8291


RHS Holiday Choral Concert

Free, 7 pm

Civic Hall

380 Hub Etchison Parkway

Richmond, IN

765 973-3350


Friday, December 19


The Family Tree: Concert

$15 & $12, 7:30 pm

Murray Theatre

1003 East Main Street

Richmond, In

765 962-1816


Interaction Singles Dance

$6, 6-11 pm

Roadside Attraction Band @ 8 pm

Eagles Lodge

75 South 12 Street

Richmond, In

765 977-8242


Bric-a-Brac Band

$3, 9-11 pm

10 N. Foote Street

Cambridge City, In

260 251-9967


New Balance

$8, 6 pm

Connersville Bluegrass MA

James Roberts Memorial Building

Roberts Park

Connersville, In

812 346-5215


Jay Jesse Johnson Band

Free, 9 pm - 1 pm

CC Tavern 

West College Corner, In

765 732-3283


Metamora Christmas Walk

Free, until 10 pm

Main Street

Metamora, In


Holiday Excursion Train

$27 & $16, 4 pm

Grand Central Station

Connersville, In

765 825-2054


Christmas Concert

Free, 7 pm

First Baptist Church

45 Tebbs

Greendale, In

812 537-1642


Unwind and Create

$20, 6:30-8:30 pm

Visual Art Center

601 Hillcrest Drive

Eaton, Oh

937 456-3999


Oxford Community Square Dance

$5, 7:30 pm

Oxford Community Arts Center

10 South College Avenue

Oxford, Oh

513 524-8506


Saturday, December 20


The Family Tree: Concert

$15 & $12, 7:30 pm

Murray Theatre

1003 East Main Street

Richmond, In

765 962-1816


Holiday Excursion Train

$27 & $16, 4 pm

Grand Central Station

Connersville, In

765 825-2054


Miracle on Main

Free, 6 pm

Second and Main Streets

Aurora, In

812 926-1100


Oxford Farmers Market

Free, 9:30 am

Uptown Parks

Oxford, Oh


Public Skating

$4.75-$8, 3-5 pm

Goggin Ice Center

610 South Oak Street

Oxford, Oh

513 529-9800


Sunday, December 21


The Family Tree: Concert

$15 & $12, 2 pm

Murray Theatre

1003 East Main Street

Richmond, In

765 962-1816


Christmas in the Park

$10, 6 pm

John Miller Center

Roberts Park

Connersville, In

765 827-4844


Songwriters Roundtable

Free, 2 pm


19054 Main Street

Metamora, In


Miracle on Main

Free, 6 pm

Second and Main Streets

Aurora, In

812 926-1100


Public Skating

$4.75-$8, 3-5 pm

Goggin Ice Center

610 South Oak Street

Oxford, Oh

513 529-9800




Holiday Art Mart

Free/donations, 10 am- 5 pm

Richmond Art Museum

350 Hub Etchison Parkway

Richmond, In

765 966-0256

Through December 20


Ice Skating Rink

$4, 4-9 pm

Todd Creech Park

Tate Street

Lawrenceburg, In

812 537-4507


Victorian Christmas Exhibit

Admission, Tue-Sun 1-5 pm

Hillforest Mansion

213 Fifth Street

Aurora, In

812 926-0087

Through December 30


Christmas Walk

Free, noon-10 pm

Metamora, In

Weekends through December 19


Brush with Wildlife

-Christopher Walden works-

Free, Tue-Sat, 1-6 pm

Visual Arts Center

of Preble County

601 Hillcrest Drive

Eaton, Oh

937 456-3999

Through December 19


Batesville Area Historical Museum

15 W. George Street

Batesville, IN 47006


Thursday 9-3 pm

Saturday 9-noon





Snow fog
Pie in the Sky

Whitewater Valley 
Cemetery Trail

Whitewater Valley Archeological Trail

Creation of the Whitewater Valley Culinary Arts College with campuses throughout the Valley.

Valley educators teaching about covered bridges engineering and history.

A group with a Valley-wide scope and mission that actually practices collaboration.

A hiking trail system along the entire length of the Whitewater Valley on the Indiana side.

Whitewater Valley Hostel Association

Pocket Park system along creeks on property now publicly owned by townships or municipalities.

Little Detroit Museum in Connersville

Whitewater Valley Covered Bridge Trail

Cedar Grove Bridge Park

A designated bike trail with lots of loops throughout the Whitewater Valley.
For this week's 
Whitewater Valley 
Calendar of Events

Professional level golf fun

   Our local professional golf hero is Bo Van Pelt who got his name on the second page of the leader board at the Masters this year before fading to par. Bo was born in Richmond and was trained, maybe is still being trained, by a pro from Oxford.

   What that means to you is there are enough golf courses in and around the Whitewater Valley to train like a pro. But if you just want to knock some around, you can also be comfortable with our local courses.

   At the Sagamore Resort on Brookville Lake is the 18-hole Buck Point Course. This Pete Dye-designed beauty is over 7000 acres of par 72 golf.

   Brookville has Brook Hill Golf Club on either side or Reservoir Road, north of SR1 as you head towards Blooming Grove. It is an 18-hole public par 71 course covering over 6,000 acres.

   Liberty Country Club is on US 27 about 16 miles north of Brookville. It is a par 70, 18-hole public course.

   Also 16 miles from Brookville but along Brookville Pike to Oxford, Ohio, then up Brown Road is Hueston Woods State Park Golf Course. It is listed as a municipal golf course. It is 18 holes with a par of 72 and since it is a state park there will be a gate admission.

   Willowbrook Country Club is open to the public in Connersville, a mere 18 miles from Brookville Lake. It features 18 holes and par for the course is 72.

   Cricket Hollow is public nine-hole facility on Pocket Road between Oldenburg and Batesville with a course par of 35.

Old channel bed
Whitewater River
West Fork

    Valley Pride

    According to a hydrography map, the watersheds of the Great Miami River include Preble, Butler Hamilton counties in Ohio and Wayne, Fayette, Union, Franklin and parts of Ripley and Dearborn counties in Indiana. 

    This means our Whitewater River is seen as merely a tributary of the Miami River, but we know it is what makes the Miami Great.

(Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:MiamiRivers_watershed.png if you don’t believe me.)

Wilbur Wright,
One famous Whitewater Valley man

Second call for hostels

Free Images
   We had a few esponses to our Facebook question which wasn't posed as a question but a request. The request was to read thoughtfully and perhaps for the second time Hustling for Hostels. It's in Issue 66 which you can access by scrolling down a bit in the column to the right.

    The point is, creating a Whitewater Valley Hostel Association is a good idea. It should be done through an organization with a scope large enough to encompass all counties in the Valley.

    Wonder who that could be?

Early September 
Photo Essay:

Glidewell Mound 
and beach path


    Traveling through the gate of Mounds SRA and past the turnoff to the camping area, Mounds Beach Road slithers down to the beach beside large shoulders of mown grass on either side.  

    The lawn sometimes sports picnic tables in cozy spots like under the green eaves of a small blue spruce grove. 

    An estuary formed by one of the fingers of the lake is the temporary home of a flock of migrating or formerly migrating Canada Geese. 

    They converge on the strip of sand that begins to grow into the ample beach at the Mounds SRA. We assume the beach sand has been augmented by several hundred truckloads of store-bought sand. 

    Sunbathers have the beach almost to themselves on a Friday afternoon in early September. The air still has all the force of summer though in a week’s time nightly temperatures would drop into the 40s and the air become tinged with the clarity of imminent change—the coming of winter. 

    The only active boats in the vicinity are two jet skies patrolling close to shore near the beach before taking off around Glidewell Point. The Glidewell Mound overlooks this ancient river bed now filled with surplus water. 

    A thin path between the waving grasses heads to a strip of natural beach which itself winds around a corner and heads around a lagoon still spiked by the trees that were drowned when the lake was created. 

    If you follow the gravel shore around the lagoon you could reach the Fairfield trail connecting by foot the Fairfield Causeway to Mounds Beach Road just at the point where the Glidewell Trail begins. 


    The Glidewell Trail is not part of the Adena Trace Hiking Trail system. Both Fairfield Trail and Templeton Trail are. They meet just before Fairfield Trail hits the road. Templeton then carries on another two miles before again connecting, this time with the happily named .7 mile Wildlife Wander. 

    Glidewell Trail begins as a two lane wooded path before it offers a short loop of only two miles. Its possible maybe even logical to assume, even with what we know about assumptions, the longer four mile route was created for Dr. George W. Hosmer’s wagon to carry his team to the mound.

     “This is the most renowned mound in the county,” according to Frank M. Setzler who reported in ‘The Archaeology of the Whitewater Valley’ that when Dr. George W. Hosmer partially excavated the Glidewell Mound it was 15 feet high and 60 feet in diameter. The slump of soil that is today’s mound is the merest shadow of this mound in its glory.

    While he first visited the mound in 1871, in June of 1879 Dr. Hosmer began the excavations; he published his “Remains on White Water River” beginning on page 732 of the Smithsonian Annual Report for 1882. 

Guide to the possible 
Scroll down for Local Calendar                        Weekly Email Guide Free Click Here

Issue 180

Vol 4, Issue 24

December 16-22, 2014

Metamora Christmas lights reflected in the Whitewater Canal

Getting’ Jazzy Concert

    Adding to the growing list of Richmond orchestras is the Richmond Jazz Orchestra which is giving its premiere performance this Thursday at the Morrison-Reeves Library in Richmond, of all places.

    Jazz and Richmond go back a long way. Golden Age jazzerinos like Hoagy Carmichael (for whom the Hoagie sub sandwich was not named), Bix Beiderbecke and Louis Armstrong recorded in Richmond. In fact, Hoosier Hoagy recorded his song Star Dust at the Gennett Records studio in 1927.

    We fully expect Hoagy to be at Morrisson-Reeves in spirit and he will hear local Richmond performers you may already know as they create this new and certainly necessary Richmond Jazz Orchestra. Holiday songs will be in evidence. Refreshments follow and the concert is free.


Squarely Christmas

    Vying for the longest name of an event on our holiday calendar, the Oxford Community Square Dance Holiday Extravaganza this Friday features some new names to our ears. T-Claw will be calling the dance and the folk group The Corn Potato String Band will perform.

    Originally hailing from Tennessee, T-Claw is a renowned caller of square dances, barn dances, hootenannies and hoedowns. He travels the nation to introduce people to traditional American bluegrass and folk music.

    The Corn Potato String Band is an Appalachian folk trio consisting of Aaron Jonah Lewis, Lindsay McCaw and Ben Belcher. All three band members play multiple instruments, including banjo, fiddle, guitar, mandolin, bass, accordion and piano.

    The event is part of the Jericho Old Time Band’s Oxford Community Square Dance series which continues on January 16th, followed by dances on February 6th, March 6th and April 3rd.

     If you come, bring five bucks for the door, a dish to dance with and a dessert to share.


Paint winter colorfully

    We spotted a trend this year that continues into the holiday season. It is adult art gatherings where burgeoning artists get together, imbibe beverages of their own choosing and paint pictures all in the spirit of camaraderie and creativity. 

   At the Preble County Visual Art Center it is a monthly event called Unwind and Create and this Friday you are invited to join them and “sink into the holiday spirit by creating a wintry painting.”

    Members pay ‘only’ $20 each. Non-members are also invited.


Create a courthouse trail, anyone?

    In a 2011 report to the Indiana General Assembly the Indiana Courthouse Preservation Advisory Commission advised the Indiana Division of Tourism to “consider acknowledging and promoting the obvious, natural attraction of historic courthouses and their squares for tourists and other visitors through a statewide tourism campaign.”

    Without going into too much detail we float the idea that tourism professionals in the Whitewater Valley create a Courthouse Trail, complete with map, fanfare and promotion.

    As the Commission reported, while commercial activity has moved to the outskirts of town in many cases, the courthouses anchor the legal and  political communities to the center of town, insuring their viability as long as justice prevails.

    The beauty of these buildings is something we do not take for granted. Drive through Liberty some time and you will be inclined to rubber-neck when you pass the Union County courthouse.

    But the histories of these buildings is something we take for granted. Creating a Whitewater Valley Courthouse Trail will put that history at our fingertips and will increase the value of our overall tourism product.


Odd Fellows Christmas spirit?

     On Saturday evening just after sundown as the streets of Metamora were filling with Christmas walkers enjoying the extravagant light show reflecting in the Whitewater Canal, a small group across from the old Odd Fellows Hall wondered why the building’s owner was pacing back and forth on the usually abandoned third floor.

    A few weeks before the owner had put a light in the window for the holiday season and the group who maintain the two horse-drawn carriages plying the streets of Metamora saw him pacing and commented to each other about this singular activity.

    The next day when one of them met the owner she asked what he was doing up there. He said he wasn’t up there. There is no heat on the third floor and he never goes up there at night because it’s too spooky.

    When asked who these folks saw pacing back and forth he suggested it could have been the fellow who committed suicide years ago by jumping off the building.

Water spigot at Holy Guardian Church, Cedar Grove

October 14-20, 2014


Cedar Grove Bridge update

    On September 30th the Cedar Grove Bridge was “listed in the National Register of Historic Places” by the National Park Service, according to Mark Dollase of Indiana Landmarks. His organization was instrumental in creating the nomination which was reviewed and recommended for approval on the prestigious list by Indiana Historic Preservation Review Board in July.

    David Verkley of the Friends of Cedar Grove Bridge hailed this as “fantastic news.” The Friends have been struggling for three years to save the bridge from the wrecking ball. The owner of the bridge, Indiana Department of Transportation, notified the Historic Preservation Board in August 2011 that they intended to demolish the bridge.

    Indiana bridge expert Dr. James L. Cooper notified local bridge lovers in Franklin County that this was a possibility and a small group met on the bridge and decided to attempt to save it.

    Dr. Cooper originally had the bridge listed by Indiana as a qualified historic structure. This meant INDOT could not tear down the bridge without going through the Historic Preservation Review Board. He currently serves as an advisor to the Friends.

    INDOT has been following the protocols stipulated by the state before an historic bridge can be torn down and the last of those on the state level has been accomplished. There is still an outstanding question of whether a US Army Corps of Engineers permit must be applied for and granted before the demolition can occur.

Metamora landmark receives rare national designation

    It’s no secret the Duck Creek Aqueduct on the Whitewater Canal in Metamora is something special, but just how special is growing by leaps and bounds. The first leap was in 1973 when it was listed along with the Metamora Grist Mill on the National Register of Historic Places. The second was in 1992 when it was designated as a National Historic Civil Engineering Landmark.

    The third happened recently when Secretary of Interior Sally Jewell and National Park Service Director Johnathan B. Jarvis announced it was named a National Historic Landmark along with eight other national sites. There are more than 96,251 historic sites listed on the National Register of Historic Places, but only 2,544 National Historic Landmarks, making this latest designation a rare honor.

    In making the announcement Secretary Jewell said, “By designating these new national landmarks we ensure that America's history of innovation, vision and diversity are celebrated today and for future generations. . . . These new national historic landmarks can educate and inspire Americans with their country’s rich history, as well as drive tourism and boost local economies.”

    A plaque beside the structure says, “The Duck Creek Aqueduct was originally built in 1843 to convey the canal over Duck Creek 16 feet below. Flood waters in 1847 destroyed the aqueduct, which was soon replaced by the present 70-foot, Burr arch truss structure.”

    The Burr arch of the Duck Creek Aqueduct is not a true Burr arch, according to Metamora historian Paul Baudendistel. He said a true Burr arch would link into the rock abutments. But after the 1847 flood the original arch was replaced with what is called a modified Burr arch which only goes to the floor of the structure not all the way to the abutments.

    There was some question among local authorities about how this designation came about. Jay Dishman, the Metamora site manager for Indiana State Museum and Historic Sites, was not aware of any actions by his department to that end. He said the long process of paperwork may have begun when the Department of Natural Resources was in charge of the site.

    But an email from Indiana historic bridge expert Dr. James Cooper cleared up the mystery. He passed along an email from Christopher H. Marston, Architect & Project Leader of the National Park Service’s American Engineering Record. In it Mr. Marston writes, “This achievement represents a twelve-year effort by the Historic American Engineering Record as part of the Federal Highway Administration's National Historic Covered Bridge Preservation Program.”

    Gail Ginther of Historic Metamora said, Mr. Marston “led the team that was here doing the intensive survey of the aqueduct a few years ago.”

    The National Park Service nomination declares, “Duck Creek Aqueduct is the only surviving covered wood aqueduct in the United States.” Whether there was another such structure had been an outstanding question in Metamora until this authoritative declaration.


I wonder if a wandering choir

could serve as a balm

for the souls of the sensitive Catholic worshippers

in places like St. Marys and Cedar Grove

who’ve lost the holy connection

between their church and the Catholic God.


Oh almighty Archdiocese of Indianapolese,

you sever yourself as you server our churches

from your Holy body.

We see your wrath upon the Batesville Deanery

27 churches ordered away.

We are all smaller, weaker

in the face of the inevitability you wield,

handcrafting as you have

our severance from the Holy Papal Order,

turning those same churches,

breathing with the stones of bygone loved ones

in the cemetery beyond, cold and shuttered.


A blanket of emptiness covers

the former portal to the Catholic God.

Other Gods may remain

but they are and always have been

invisible to the parishioners.


I wonder if a chorale of voices

sung in intergenerational joy

could resonate so deep to sooth the sores

made by the proverbial sword

of that servant of the Lord,

that beaner of the Batesville Deanery,

that gleaner of no things frivolous,

that porter to the purse strings of the Catholic God,

The Archdiocese of Indianapolese.


Gary August Schlueter

June 7, 2014

One Sparrow


Rolling Thunder awoke the morning sky

above the graying clouds rumbled

not yet vanquished by his all night vigil

Spattering raindrops tumbled as they fell

trembling between the weight of gravity

and the calling of the thunder being above.


Anon somewhere east of here

a Sun content to simply light overcast

arose to the calling of a single sparrow

Intrepid, indomitable, feathers soaked through

yet dreading not the rumbling above

to the rising in the east the slathered sparrow sung.


Lonely was his song for his fellows remained silent

on this morning when the voice of the west was nigh

When the all night rain dampened the zeal

of even the bravest heart

one who knew not what his betters decreed by their silence

One solo sparrow, one foolish fellow

raised his voice in a glee club of one

to the morning ritual of the rising sun.


One Sparrow’s mission –

To gather the clan,

to unite the tribe,

to re-grow the forest.




Gary Schlueter


May 14, 2009